Severo Ochoa - María de Maeztu alliance (SOMMa)
SOMMa is the alliance of Severo Ochoa Centres and María de Maeztu Units to promote Spanish Excellence in research and to enhance its social impact at national and international levels.
SOMMa’s mission is to internationally promote, strengthen and maximise the value of the ground-breaking research produced by the Spanish ‘Severo Ochoa’ Centres and ‘María de Maeztu’ Units of Excellence and the scientific, social and economic impact it generates.
SOMM alliance brings together the top-performing and most competitive Spanish research centres and units in all disciplines: from life sciences and medicine, mathematics, chemistry, physics, engineering, to humanities, economics and social sciences.
The main objectives of SOMMa are to:
- Boost national and international visibility of Spanish research as an interdisciplinary and interconnected Spanish research ecosystem of excellence.
- Engage in outreach activities, addressed to different key stakeholders, such as the media, scientific community, politicians and policy-makers, general public, etc.
- Foster the exchange of scientific knowledge, technology and good practices, both in and outside the alliance, with the global scientific community and key stakeholders, therefore facilitating interdisciplinary collaboration and spreading excellence.
- Support and contribute to science policy in Spain and internationally.
- Attract and integrate talent, and favour mobility within Spain.
- Find synergies and collaboration opportunities with other research institutes and universities to push forward Spanish science.