“EGA Bioinformatician lead”
Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG)
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) has received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
We are seeking an enthusiastic and talented senior bioinformatician to lead a sub-team embedded in the EGA (European Genome-Phenome Archive, www.ega-archive.org) group at the CRG. The successful candidate will manage a small team of junior bioinformaticians and lead their participation in funded collaborative projects and internal initiatives. Those would be related to knowledge extraction, datasets analyses, (meta)data quality checks, data harmonisation, and discovery of genomics and other datasets. The successful candidate should be a motivated scientist, with experience in leadership and coordination, as well as in handling large scale genomics and associated metadata. We are looking for someone with positive energy to join our amazing and diverse team.
About the EGA
The EGA (European Genome-Phenome Archive, www.ega-archive.org) is a resource for permanent secure archiving and sharing of all types of potentially identifiable bio-molecular, phenotypic, and clinical data resulting from biomedical research projects. We host more than 18 petabytes of data, that includes more than 3700 studies and 8600 datasets. The EGA, co-managed by the CRG (www.crg.eu) and the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI, www.ebi.ac.uk), is an active partner in numerous international and national projects and contributes to establishing international standards in genomics and health research. Currently, the EGA is involved in many precision medicine initiatives and projects and looks forward to providing advanced services for that research community. The EGA team at CRG is a diverse group (currently 20 people and steadily growing) composed of bioinformaticians, developers and scientists from various backgrounds. The EGA is a Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH, www.ga4gh.org) driver project, an ELIXIR (www.elixir-europe.org) Core Data Resource and Recommended Deposition Repository, as well as an ELIXIR Spain (www.inab.es) service. In Barcelona, the EGA is based at the prestigious Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB, www.prbb.org) and receives support from the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC, www.bsc.es) and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF, www.upf.edu).
Whom would we like to hire?
• You have a strong background in Bioinformatics applied to human data (3+ years of experience)
• You have proven international experience and skills in leadership and coordination (of projects and team members)
• You have experience in managing, processing, performing quality control and analysis of large amounts of Next Generation Sequencing
• You have experience in pipeline development using current bioinformatic tools
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
● You have experience with large-scale data analysis (e.g. genome-wide association studies or population genomics) using genetic and phenotypic datasets (preferably hands-on experience working with large datasets such as UK Biobank)
● You have experience in supervised & unsupervised machine-learning algorithms, Data analytics
● You have knowledge of databases: SQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Neo4J, etc. Having database management experience is a major plus
● You have experience in Data Curation (genomics, experimental or clinical metadata), Quality checks, Data mining and harmonisation
● You have experience in working with REST API’s for application and services integration
Education and training
● You hold a PhD in Bioinformatics (or similar discipline), or a strong equivalent working experience
● You are fluent in English, which will be the language used for all work written and oral communications
● Spanish and/or Catalan might be considered a plus, but are not required
● Able to suggest innovative ideas
● Highly proactive and passionate about the projects you take part in
● Ability to work with people with different professional backgrounds
● Structured and organised, able to coordinate overlapping tasks for you and for your team
● Accurate and detail-oriented
● Enthusiastic team player
● Able to give impacting oral presentations
● Contract duration: Long-term contract, linked to the duration of the project
● Weekly schedule: Hybrid position (this is an in-person position with the possibility to have 2 days of working from home)
● Estimated annual gross salary: an attractive salary will be offered, commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
● Target start date: TBD
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcome applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation periods and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Jordi Rambla.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Jordi Rambla and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the People department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by December 15th, 2023