The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
Do you want to help scientists that are developing the future Spanish personalized medicine? If you are an expert in Python development and you have experience in handling large scale data as well as REST APIs, we want to meet you!
Come to join our multidisciplinary team to work in the national project “Infraestructura de Medicina de Precisión asociada a la Ciencia y Tecnología (IMPaCT) _Ciencia de Datos”, funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III. Become part of the ongoing projects at the European Genome-phenome Archive focusing on developing web interfaces to expose non-sensitive data in meaningful ways (eg. the Beacon project (http://docs.genomebeacons.org)).
The EGA (European Genome-Phenome Archive, www.ega-archive.org) is a resource for permanent secure archiving and sharing of all types of potentially identifiable bio-molecular, phenotypic, and clinical data resulting from biomedical research projects. We host more than 16 petabytes of data, that includes more than 3700 studies and 8600 datasets. The EGA, co-managed by the CRG (www.crg.eu) and the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI, www.ebi.ac.uk), is an active partner in numerous international and national projects and contributes to establishing international standards in genomics and health research. Currently, the EGA is involved in many precision medicine initiatives and projects and looks forward to providing advanced services for that research community. The EGA team at CRG is a diverse group (currently 20 people and steadily growing) composed of bioinformaticians, developers and scientists from various backgrounds. The EGA is a Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH, www.ga4gh.org) driver project, an ELIXIR (www.elixir-europe.org) Core Data Resource and Recommended Deposition Repository, as well as an ELIXIR Spain (www.inab.es) service. In Barcelona, the EGA is based at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB, www.prbb.org) and receives support from the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC, www.bsc.es) and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF, www.upf.edu).
• You have a strong background in Web frontend (HTML, CSS, JS)
• You have understanding of server-side aspects (including web security)
● You have experience in working with REST API’s for application and services integration
● You have experience in Python (including async programming)
● You have experience with containerization technology (such as Docker)
Education and training
● You hold a Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
● You are fluent in English, as it is the working language of the group
● You are an independent thinker
● You are accurate and detail-oriented
● You are a team player
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
• You have knowledge of querying databases: SQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Neo4J, etc.
• Database management experience is a major plus
• You have knowledge of Java, Rust
• You have experience in Data Curation, Data mining, harmonization
• You have knowledge of UX Design Experience and proficiency with design tools
• You speak Spanish and/or Catalan
The Offer – Working conditions
● Contract duration: long-term contract, linked to the duration of the project
● Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
● Target start date: as soon as possible
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Jordi Rambla.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Jordi Rambla and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required, typically in two rounds of interviews. In some cases, a small test may be requested to assess skills.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by September 30, 2023.