ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-European organization founded in 2014 which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 22 countries; engages with other strategic European initiatives and projects, e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat and EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape. Spain has been a member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) as the Spanish national node. Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain and, therefore, should guarantee its alignment with the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR.
Since 2018, the INB has two overarching objectives: deepen the alignment of its activities with ELIXIR, and increase the translational impact of INB actions towards the Spanish National Health System (SNS). For the latter objective, the INB has created and supports TransBioNet (Translational Bioinformatics Network), which aims to structure, bring together and work with bioinformatics groups in healthcare settings with a particular focus on the Health Research Institutes (IIS) recognized by the ISCIII. Since 2021, the INB has continued its activities in the context of the IMPaCT-Data programme. IMPaCT is the Spanish National Infrastructure for Personalized Medicine associated with Science and Technology by the National Health Research Institute Carlos III (ISCIII).
OpenEBench (https://openebench.bsc.es), an initiative developed within ELIXIR, aims to provide a permanent platform to support community-led scientific benchmarking activities and the technical monitoring of research software in Life Sciences. OpenEBench provides, on the one hand, support to scientific communities to perform a critical evaluation of the scientific performance of methods and tools in specific domains. On the other hand, OpenEBench maintains a Tools Monitoring section, holding updated metadata for bioinformatics tools extracted from data sources like bio.tools, Bioconda, and Galaxy, among others, and providing live analysis of several metrics regarding availability, documentation or license availability, among others. The ultimate goal of OpenEBench is to provide an observatory of the quality of the Life Sciences research software, which can provide an overall view of the field and support the generation of development best practices and their progressive adoption.
- Take the lead on the design and implementation of the OpenEBench visual interfaces.
- Develop, document and maintain software for the integration and biological data, following the guidelines of ELIXIR. Maintain communication with ELIXIR platforms, communities, and management, and participate in regular meetings and discussions
- Contribute to supervising junior members at the INB/ELIXIR-ES units.
- BSc or MSc degrees in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Sciences or Multimedia Engineering with relevant experience in the development of visual interfaces.
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience with a similar role.
- At least 2 years of experience with web-development framework like Vue.JS, Angular, React or similar.
- At least 2 years of User-Centered Design experience.
- Experience in database design and management (SQL and noSQL): MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite or similar; MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra or similar.
- Experience with advanced software packaging procedures.
- Experience in software quality management.
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in developing, generating and using software containers, e.g. Docker, Singularity and/or rkt, and their orchestration using docker compose, Kubernetes, ansible and/or similar technologies.
- Experience in developing project technical specifications.
- Fluency in English written and spoken.
- At least basic knowledge of Spanish.
- Ability to understand scientific literature and software documentation.
- Ability to communicate scientific results.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to represent the team in international project meetings.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract (37.5h/week), a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, restaurant tickets, private health insurance, support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Open-ended contract due to technical and scientific activities linked to the project and budget duration
- Holidays: 23 paid vacation days plus 24th and 31st of December per our collective agreement
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap